It really is me. I have not fallen off the face of the earth, yet.
I have really enjoyed being unplugged for awhile.
I may, or may not, share some of my thoughts on that at a later date.I may, or may not, stay plugged in after sharing this post.
Time will tell.
In the meantime, I wanted to share a little something I whipped up in my sewing room today!
For the past few years, I have made and donated a doll garment to an auction raising funds for a hospital's neonatal intensive care unit.
Here is this year's contribution.This was not my original plan.
Funny how often that happens, isn't it?I decided to try and be a little more trendy than usual, and began making something completely different.
Then, frustration set in.
The pattern directions were lacking. I could tell the garment might not fit. While it was meant to slip over the doll's head, little impatient fingers might have a difficult time. My larger, and supposedly more patient, adult fingers were already having problems with it.
So, I turned to a beloved tried and true pattern -- a doll sized version of Children's Corner Mary De.
I also turned to one of my favorite fabrics, pinwale pique, for the bodice.Adding lace and Swiss embroideries only made it better!
I was a happy camper, and the sewing machine was humming again!
The skirt is Garden Pindot in Azure by Michael Miller.Embroidery floss is woven through the entredeux borders of the Swiss embroidery insert. It is further embellished with Spanish lace edging on either side.
Spanish lace is a little heavier than the French laces often used in heirloom sewing. I felt these were a better choice for a slightly more casual dress, and sturdier for a little girl's play time.
I decided it needed a little fun punch of color, and added lime green microcheck gingham piping at the waistline.
There are also three folded tucks at the hemline, to add one more finishing touch!
One of the sweet features of Mary De, is the wrap back closing.
The dress opens completely down the back, hopefully making it easy for little fingers to dress dolly.
Two fun flower shaped buttons close the back.
Her stylish bonnet began as a plain, and rather rough looking, straw hat purchased at a local hobby store. I dug through my box of trims, finding a lime green ruffled trim that echoed the color of the dress's waistline piping. I also discovered a floral ribbon garland, with tiny pearls decorating each flower's center.
Of course, we know everything is better with a bow, too!
This adorable miniature tea is the final part of my donation.
I used to sell these in my store, and still have a few left.
It makes me happy to know some little (or big!) girl will enjoy sharing tea with her dolly.
I made two little cloth napkins, using one of the decorative stitches on my machine to finish the edges.
It was good to be sewing again, and especially for a worthy cause.
Thanks for visiting!
Maybe it won't be as long before I have something else to share.
Have a wonderful week!